Wednesday, December 12, 2012

This is my first time "blogging" so it should improve as I learn all the tricks.  I will write informal journal entries to remember random details and pictures from our life now that we have moved to Stuttgart, Germany. 

Blog #1

I arrived on December 7th and Scott picked me up at the airport (Flying direct from Atlanta to Stuttgart was super easy- even Customs was a breeze)

The snow was coming down hard and has not stopped since I arrived
Thank god for the hats from Dotty and Midge!





Also, thanks to Sis and Skip for my glorious snow boots and Granny Flo for my stylish scarf!



We have been busy exploring the city on foot.  Here is a pic overlooking the city center (it's in a valley)


Stuttgart has a huge Christmas market everyday during the month of December and the streets are filled with Germans consuming massive amounts of sausage and beer.  My favorite treat is a delicious winter specialty called Gluwein, a sweet tasty warm red wine in a mug! (I will post pics of the markets soon when we go to Mid-evil Esslingen for the greatest of all xmas markets)


The nightlife is fun with a variety of bars and restaurants (we already had sushi and Mexican). Unfortunately, smoking seems common in many bars since they dont force patrons to smoke outside beacuse of noise ordinances. One place we happily discovered without smokers was Biddy Earlys, an Irish bar with a young German band singing Van Morrisson and Tom Petty cover songs - good times and felt like we were back in the USA







Here are a few fun facts:
Germans are very strict about following rules   For example:
When you ride the bus or train, purchasing tickets is regulated by an honor system and they only randomly check to see if you have bought a ticket
Pedestrians ALWAYS use crosswalks and wait for the light to be green
However, Scott claims there is no law prohibiting urinating in public

Beer is cheaper than water and good luck getting water without bubbles (good thing I love soda water)
It also appears to be legal to drink on the streets, train stations, parks...
Germans love spas, especially naked spas

We have been focused on finding a place to live for the next 2 years and our apartment search is looking promising
We found one place with a sauna but it's a penthouse with low angled ceilings so too small


The apartment we like best has a steam room, heated towel rack and a great view of the city!
I will post pics of it as soon as I get a chance

That's all for now!
Next week, we are traveling to the Alps for Christmas yay!



4 comments:

  1. Just read your post while getting ready for work. It made me laugh more than once! Please keep writing and share a photo of the heated towel rack.
    -Friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take a pic of towel rack soon! thanks for the feedback pal aka miss thrift (nerd)

      Delete
  2. This is fantastic. Can only imagine how long it took you to hack out all this typing! Love the German fun facts; they will prepare me for my trip in March!! You had me at beer is cheaper than water......
    Love, Terryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Travel Monkey (seriously)
      soo excited for you to visit!!!! love ya

      Delete