Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Delicious Creations & Fasching Celebrations

As I already mentioned, I am still learning how to accomplish my various "house frau" duties.
One task that's especially new to me is the act of matching and folding socks.
I find this chore completely ridiculous but Scoots has a very organized system so I make sure to follow his sock drawer protocol at all times.

The frau activity I truly enjoy most is cooking!  Every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday morning there is a wonderful market in the Church parking lot next to our apartment.  I can buy fresh bread, herbs, eggs, cheese, fish, and amazing produce from an assortment of local vendors (pics to come when my iphone is repaired)

I have been making a lot of Moroccan mint tea.  It's really easy: just combine fresh mint and loose leaf green tea in a French press and let soak in boiling water for 5 minutes




Refreshing and delicious!

The lady at one produce stand, we call her Mary, must think I am a charity case (perhaps it's my very non-euro early morning disheveled appearance: sneakers, pajama pants, and scraggly hair).  Mary always tosses extra fruit and vegetables in my bag, usually bruised and over ripe items, and shouts "gratis" so I know they are free.  Sometimes these donations look really nasty but I have found creative ways to use them thanks to my trusty Vitamix machine (the greatest blender/food processor ever invented).  I made fresh applesauce after cutting all the bruises off the apples and adding fresh ginger and orange juice.



This past week we celebrated the German version of Carnival or Mardi Gras. 

 Germans in the predominantly catholic regions, like Stuttgart, celebrate pre-Lenten festivities in grand style!  According to a local website, "the Fasching parades start on “Schmotziger Donnerstag” (Greasy Thursday). The Swabian word “schmotzig” means lard or grease and refers to the opulent food eaten during Fasching, such as “Fasnetsküchle” (Fasching doughnuts)."  Ira, my donut connoisseur father, would truly love this festival!


We got to wear masks and party at a local beer house with other expats and plenty of wild Germans



Before we went, Scott performed surgery on my mask so I would be able to breathe and stay hydrated.


Our friends Joe & Mariel joined us as a Vampiress and a Scottish redneck (Joe wore an authentic kilt)


There were many stellar costumes but the one below takes the cake!!! Perhaps my African soul mate?

He even had a yamaka on top of his furry hat!

My mask was both fashionable and functional thanks to this lovely engineer's drilling skills


Germans love dancing on tables and singing "Sweet Caroline"

Germans also love scarves

I was so excited when I saw this German doppelganger of Ernie (Leigh-Ann and Stacy's German buddy who owns a Riesling vineyard)

I hope his teeth are part of the costume but it's doubtful








5 comments:

  1. AMAZING SKILLS IN THE KITCHEN PAL.

    YOUR PARTY SOUNDS LIKE MY HELL - SORRY

    IS THAT GEORGE IN THE MULLET? LOOKS JUST LIKE HIM SANS MULLET.

    MISS YOU
    HOPE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your masks were amazing! (And a little scary) I owe you an email response big time. I don't have Internet service at the beach house since I'm moving soon, but I'll get an email out to you very soon. I missssssss you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That party looks right up my alley. If it weren't for dry shampoo I'd be celebrating Schmotziger Donnerstag all week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed out loud again....jewbacca? sheesh, you really have a knack for this writing thang!
    love and miss you. and that does NOT look like ernie but I love that you got a photo with him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A while ago there was a story about schwenking on the radio. Sounded great to me so I had to look into it. http://www.schwenktheworld.com/
    German bbq will work out here too and I'm looking for some inside info for the spring. Please keep a sharp eye and nose out for schwenkers over there and let us know how it goes. I'm lovin this blog!

    ReplyDelete