Wednesday, July 24, 2013

German LIFE: Summer Fests & Fun Times

The best time to be in Stuttgart is summertime especially if you appreciate tank tops, manpris (pronounced: man-prees), and street festivals!
German (perturbed by my close-up paparazzi style photo skills)  strutting along in manpris or "shants" (short pants) 
Do Americans drink these canned cocktails or is this a German sales tactic?
Stuttgart has the 2nd most mineral springs in Europe after Budapest.  Many "Mineral Bads" and public pools are within biking distance of our home. 

Me, Bex, and Mariel enjoying the Vahingen Bad
The African Festival, in a nearby neighborhood, was entertaining and we enjoyed spicy food, live African drumming, and a racy fashion show.

Scott purchased an authentic hand-woven hat from Ghana.

Hat above to protect Scoots from sun and dangerous cougars
I think I would have liked dolls more as a child if someone gave me one of these
Later that same day, we went to the Hamburger Fish Market downtown. Hamburg, a city near Germany's North Sea coast, annually brings seafood specialties to Stuttgart.

Lighthouse tower in background was a fried fish extravaganza

Fillets of fish are fried on top level and sent hot and fresh down the slide for the masses!
view inside the lighthouse tower

Scott tried a pickled herring sandwich (Ira should be proud) and I dominated a plate of delicious mussels and grilled calamari.

Fish sandwich booth- salmon, mackerel, white fish and some random fish with tails - creepy!

Many delicacies, in addition to seafood, were available like fried dough balls, flammkuchen (my favorite thin crust German pizza) and fried potatoes.
Those look like potato pancakes to me

I have not been shopping in a while so was tempted by rumors of a local "discount" store similar to a chain from the USA.  We found TK Maxx in the town of Reutlingen.

Sasha claims shopping is her only addiction

After shopping, we went out for lunch (Thai/Chinese place near TKs)


Fortune if you look closely states: "Now the time is right for new friendship"

Speaking of friends, I miss my pals from home and am always happy to see reminders:


Kara Rae Franke Braddick you would love an Aperol Spritz (in my hand above) 
Ingredients: Prosecco, Aperol, soda water, slices of orange

I wanted to maximize my seafood consumption so headed back to the Fish Fest for the 4th time and on our way stumbled upon an International Festival with live bands and a huge variety of food tents and cocktails.

Shalon and I near food tents from Ecuador, Mexico, India, Poland, Korea...

Waiting in line for Mojitos at the Cuban cocktail stand

Damien & Shalon with the Cuban bartender
We eventually arrived at the Hamburg Fish Festival and met new friends with amazing accents!  Bren (next to Shalon) from Melbourne and Adele (to my left) is from England just like the superstar!

Adele and Bren (above) were curious if I was from Spain... (perhaps I developed an accent that evening as well)
Last week, Scott went on a business trip to Ankara, Turkey.


Scoot's photo from the ancient palace castle ruin in the old town
While Scott was out of town, I went out for "girls night" to eat sushi.
Kurose has the best Homeade Gyoza (dumplings) , Tempura Shrimp Roll
After Sushi, we headed out from some more summer festivities.

Parisian Gypsy Rock band reminded us of New Orleans Jaxx Fest

Lisa, Mariel, and Julia back at the Cuban stand for mojitos

Me, Julia, Sasha, Vicki, Mariel, and Lisa enjoying Berliners (fried cream filled donuts) at the Fish Market Fest
 This week, Scott tried a 6th barber eager to finally find a proper affordable cut.  I discovered Magutu at a small salon down the street.  Scoots was thrilled that Magutu was careful when grooming his sideburns.  
Puffiest hair blown out FRO ever- Shirt unbuttoned embracing new Guido image

Scott's work friends invited us to a wine tasting.  Hugh, from the UK, enlightened us with his knowledge of French, Italian, and German wines.


Christoph (German boyfriend of Courtney from VA), Ethan (American), Hugh (Brit)

Homemade pesto, French fromage, German smoked hams and salami
Damien and Scoots adorable in matching outfits

Courtney (host of tasting front left) and crew in great spirits after many rounds of "tastings"

OOPS looks like some clutz broke her wine glass
For many months, we have been mesmerized by a group of jolly men outside our front window.  Congregating on the same benches everyday, they drink from sun rise to late evening.  They are surrounded by alters, mascots, flags and other lawn ornaments.  
View from our bedroom window- notice the group gathered near the flower beds

I feel we are destined to hang out with these fellows and learn about their daily rituals.
Zoomed in - strange pole statue, and greasy hairy chested locals
 After stealthily taking countless pictures from our apartment, I was spotted!
Man waiving his arms at me aware that I was capturing him on film

I am often asked if I am learning to speak German but I would rather improve my Italian or Spanish speaking skills.  

Youtube clip perfectly illustrates my feelings about the German language! 













1 comment:

  1. brilliant, as always. love that scoots is wearing his mago shirt euro style!

    ReplyDelete