Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy SILVESTER 2013!!!


New Years Eve in Zurich Switzerland

Zurich is only 2 hours south of where we live in Stuttgart.

It's a beaituful drive on the autobahn over rolling green hills and farmland.

We felt like we were flying in our rental VW Golf (maxing out at 118 mph) but Mercedes station wagons and glamorous Porsches zoomed right by us.

The drive was fun and we arrived in Zurich mid day to meet up with Alicia and Nikki.

The city was built along a river that feeds into a pretty crystal clear lake with views of the snow covered alps in the distance (my pictures of the mountains didn't turn out because it was so sunny)




 
We went out for fondue at Sussie Churchi in the Old Town
It was cheeezy!
 
 
 
 
 
Zurich is a popular city in Europe for celebrating Silvester (German word for New Years Eve) because they have a huge festival along the river that lasts all night long! 
  We had a blast meeting people from all over the world (Iran, Russia, Atlanta, Italy, and Morrocco).  

 
Alicia decided to dress like a Russian which was hilarious because we later met some fun Russians
 
 
There was an amazing fireworks display over the lake at midnight
 
 
Roman & Natasha shared their bottle of Prosecco with us!  
  (Is every Russian female named Natasha??)
 
After the fireworks, we went into the tents where DJs played music ranging from classic to ridiculous: David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Rihanna, Black Eyed Peas, Pink Floyd, Mambo #5, Belinda Carlisle...
 
It was surreal watching my husband dance with random Germans and Iranians who were proudly singing every word to the Macarena and YMCA (however could not speak a lick of English)
 
We had a blast and stayed out way past my bedtime dancing and prancing around the city
 
 
 
 
 


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful New Year's pahty day.
    We missed you both here in Charleston. I will send along some epic photos from the evening/polar plunge and also a most embarrassing/amazing video of mical's mermaid dance. Can't wait to visit and adventure. Happy 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really enjoying your posts. We missed you on New Years. You would have been impressed: I stayed up until past 1 before passing out on Jamie's couch. The girls say I snored, but I think they are lying since we all know Jamie is the one who snores. The polar bear plunge was fun...to watch. I did out my feet in the tidal pool for a second & they went numb so I'd like to think that sort of counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, do you remember seeing any litter on the ground in Zurich on NYE? I've heard Switzerland is incredibly clean & the ppl are very environmentally friendly. Just wondering if the trash cans were overflowing on such a big night. I hope the answer is no. I'd like to think that everyone remained respectful & clean even while drunk. That would be my utopia.

    ReplyDelete