Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hotel Living - Food & Random Observations

Breakfasts are huge in Germany and I have been impressed with the buffet at our hotel
According to Ute, (oddly named wife of Scott's coworker), in Germany it is acceptable to take as much food as you would like and bring it back to your room for later.
Here is the fine assortment I gathered today:


I know my Granny Flo would be proud if she could see how many rolls I managed to stuff in my pockets (if only she was not anti-Internet)

It's important to note that many items at the breakfast buffet are not appealing - for example:

(yes that says "meat jelly" barf)

Living in a hotel sounds fun but we are getting very excited to leave this 1 room suite and move to our new apartment in the city.  This hotel is not in the most picturesque part of Stuttgart.
Scott took photo below from our room's balcony 


One night we had dinner at the hotel restaurant "Red Grill" which has menus in English. 
 However, the turkey "burger" Scott ordered resembled more of a turkey cutlet.  
Why do the Germans manage to incorporate corn into almost every dish? 

(Notice Scoot's immaculately clean finger nails)
We are becoming regulars at the nearby China Palast.  They are friendly and always open (everything closes on Sundays kind of like Mt Pleasant, SC but worse)  The menu is a million pages long and includes a variety of Chinese and Thai dishes (page from menu below)


Living in a hotel for months has truly made me appreciate having a real kitchen
As much as I love going out to eat, sometimes its just too dark and cold to leave our cozy room
Good news:  Germans are also lazy and order delivery


The pizza was awful so we tried again and ordered Indian (surprisingly from the same delivery menu)
The vegetarian items were scrumptious but the naan was an unremarkable pizza crust.


Thank GOD we have military ID cards so we have special privileges.  I truly appreciate having these benefits without having to go into battle.  We have access to pharmacies, gyms, bowling, PX (electronics store) and the commissary.  The commissary has some of my favorite American brands that I was excited to purchase:


The Army base also has barbers and Scott's fro was getting out of control.  Unfortunatley, he does not trust barbers for fear of a buzz cut so we found a salon.  Aveda salons are usually legit.  
Photo below is at Akzente in Stuttgart West a few blocks from our future apartment.  


Now (after paying roughly 50 US dollars) it looks exactly the same.
Perhaps we will keep looking for another salon so he can get it cut short

Must try treat: Scott brought me an amazing piece of fruit that I had never seen before

It has the texture and firmness of a plum or nectarine (you can eat the skin).  It tastes similar to a mango but less sweet almost like a mangapple or appango (hybrid apple mango)



This one was from Spain and Germans call it Kaki fruit (pronoucned cock - ee)

 It should be cocky because it is so freaking delicious!

7 comments:

  1. Haha. I love your posts. I loved the picture out the window and your side commentary on your own commentary. Mmm, kaki fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HIMEEE! Congrats on the new house purchase!! I hope to see it soon and you would LUV the kaki fruit (maybe you can find it at whole foods or maybe i can smuggle one back to you)

      Delete
    2. Thanks darling. I close February 5th and will be moved in before March 1st, after some heavy-duty cleaning, painting, and arranging the furniture 50 different ways. Can't wait for you to see it! Can't wait to see you. If I get a third roommate then surely I'll be able to save money to come for a long visit soon and we'll eat kaki fruit together. Nom, nom, nom.

      Delete
  2. Pizza is my favorite thing to eat. Will you guys try to order a German pizza again this week from somewhere else & see if it's better? Once you find a good pizza place I'll book my ticket! Also, what are the gyms like? Do they have barre classes? Any crazy new work out craze we should know about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear Friend - please dont fret and book your ticket! The city of Stuttgart actually has the 2nd largest Italian population outside of Italy (NYC is #1) so I have seen legit Italian places on every street. We had an amazing dinner of fresh pizza and pasta with delicious red wine at a mom and pop spot where they only spoke Italian (good thing Megano' studied Italian at Michigan) Have not entered one gym or researched barre class yet
    Walking a ton all over the city feels good and I'm going to a yoga class near our new place this weekend (yoga in german wish me luck)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megs, Amazing commentary, of course. Is that a penis in the snow???? Interesting. And you WOULD love the Kaki fruit - ha! Your pictures of the food from the hotel bring back so many fond memories of traveling on trains and having nothing to eat but bread, cheese spread and pepperoni. SO MUCH BREAD. Good thing you are enjoying walking and exploring!! We miss you guys. Hugs to Scoots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that I just realized there was a comment section :)

    Appango, cracks me up. I'd love to try one. Megan, you should find a theater that is playing Les Mis tonight and go so you can feel like you are here with us. 7:10 EST, we can email about the plot! And then toward the end we can call you and wake you up, like old times!

    Misssss you!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete