Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Home Sweet Home

Hooray we got the keys to our apartment- Volgelsang 33!

We are thrilled to have a place to call home!  The movers delivered all of our stuff and only managed to break our brand new bed.  Oh well!  It's wonderful to get quality sleep on our memory foam mattress.

Scott's exceptional vocabulary continues to crack me up with phrases like "we are still in flux" but he is correct; it has been hectic.  As soon as we finish unpacking, I will post pics of our apartment and neighborhood.

This past week I desperately needed a haircut and found a salon called J-7
I asked the receptionist if they had any hair dressers that spoke English and she recommended Flo (as in my favorite band Flo-rida or my wonderful Granny Flo).
This was clearly a sign!
Here is a visual of stylist Flo sporting ear gauges and facial stubble

 

Flo exceeded all expectations!  First, he treated me to a heavenly welcome massage (head, neck and shoulders).  Flo was disheartened by my hair's lack of moisture and split ends so I explained that my hair products were stuck on a container in the Atlantic Ocean.  He provided an extra conditioning treatment and even taught me how to make glorious curls with a hot iron.  What a gem!

Scott also needed a haircut (#2) so he went to a new salon and Luisa did a fabulous job:


After our haircuts, we met for brunch.  We have learned that crowded restaurants are the tastiest so we chose a place packed with goofy Germans.  They did not have an English menu option (also a good sign).  Fortunately, I am learning a few no fail orders that are trusty choices when the menu stumps me.  Thanks to my Hebrew roots, I can quickly spot the word "lachs" (as in lox or smoked salmon).  I was served a heaping portion of this smoked fish with a horseradish cream on a delicious whole grain seeded roll.  Yum!



I have been taking many long walks around town and the weather has warmed up since I arrived! One day, when it was 41 F, I thought "what lovely weather!"  The lake below is frozen so this feeling of warmth must be my warped perception of reality, spending the first week here in frigid zero degree temps (special thanks to my pal Hope who inspired me to start wearing pantyhose (under my jeans))

For those who don't know German, the sign above reads "Geese ice skating"

On my walks, I smile noticing signs that remind me of activities and loved ones back in the USA











5 comments:

  1. Hehehe, your Wednesday blog posts have turned into the best part of my Hump Day. Can we Skype this weekend? I wake up early and could Skype with you before my barre class this Saturday.
    Miss you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see pictures of the apartment...and your new 'do, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glycklich Haarchnitt!
    (Hopefully my German patient did not inappropriately translate for me...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel bad for whoever you think is a 'schmuck'. Sounds like a total loser.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear German/Jewish pal - oxymoron?

    I thank you for your wonderful Wednesday post. I can feel your spirit. And I am so thankful you have taken my advice and have started wearing pantyhose under your jeans. Soon you will graduate to wearing only them and no jeans. When that happens I must warn you of all the older, creepy men that will flock ESPECIALLY in Europe. Please prepare yourself my friend. And I side note - tights are warmer in the winter so you should switch to those, but they do not get nearly the attention as hose.

    Love you.
    Out.

    ReplyDelete