Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Exploring Spain's Southern Coastline in a zippy Panda FIAT

I am typing this blog from a cafe in Sevilla with an incredible view of the Guadalquivir River, gardens and fountains!  It's warm, sunny and even smells great like Charleston (magnolias in bloom). 


When Scoots found out he had a work trip to a military base in a town called Moron (seriously), Spain, I knew I was destined to join him.  We got to fly in 3 days early and vacation along the Spanish coastline.

After arriving at Malaga Airport (southeast coast), we drove south to the pretty resort town of Marbella.  It reminded me a lot of Ft Lauderdale: palm trees and elderly dressed in their finest golf attire- pink polos and khakis (just replace the tanned wealthy New Yorkers with affluent pale Brits).  After cruising the Marbella boardwalk (made of marble- gorgeous), we headed south to check out Gibraltar.

Prudential commercial? 
After seeing the famous "rock", we drove to the kite boarding mecca of Europe called Tarifa.  I was amazed at the unexpected view from our hotel room (below), overlooking soccer fields, a bull fighting ring and the ocean.

Cute Spanish kids practiced futbol on this field until it got dark
I bet my parents would have enjoyed watching my goalkeeping skills more from this location

Tarifa is located at the southern tip of Spain where the Mediterranean meets the Atlantic Ocean.
Mediterranean on left, Atlantic on right
 There is a large port and ruins from an old fort.  

We climbed to the top and I nearly lost balance and fell off thanks to high speed winds

wind in hair- just like a model shoot :)


The wind conditions make this a perfect kite surfing location so Scott was in heaven.



While Scott was kite boarding I explored the town.  Around 11 am, about 200 motorcycles pulled into the main square.  I got to experience a Spanish biker rally with loud Spanish techno blasting and leather clad bikers chugging San Miguel (local beer) before riding off into the sunset.  

TV interview- must be the famous biker gang leaders


Tarifa had great places to eat and was super laid back with few tourists.  Thus, we got to hang out with the locals.  Speaking Spanish is sooo much fun!  After many horrendous attempts to speak German, I was starting to lose confidence in my language skills but thankfully my Spanish improves (like my dance moves and bowling skills) with Sangria.  My stellar accent from 7th grade Spanish came back in a heartbeat (reminiscent of a younger JLo's voice in the hit movie Selena).   

Keep in mind that Andalusian Spanish is different (especially from the Spanish I spoke with the bus boys while working as a waitress).  The only way to describe it is to imagine speaking Spanish with a heavy lisp.  Scott thinks its strange and unattractive to see so many tongues flopping around but I find it endearing.  For example, instead of "Gracias" it sounds like "Grathiath"
After Tarifa, we drove up the western coast.  The green pastures were full of cows and it was a beautiful drive.  We could see the white walled Andalusian villages in the distance.



After driving an hour, we arrived in Cadiz.  Cadiz is a wonderful city on the beach and many consider it the oldest living city in Europe.  It has old Moorish buildings and Roman cathedrals. 


We had a blast exploring this city!

More pictures of Cadiz to come on next blog
Spanish food is fun because it's served tapas style (small plates) so you get to try a variety!  

We have learned it's better to ask before ordering or you will get a lot of fried balls with unknown fillings (croquettes - sometimes made of potatoes, fish, pork, or my favorite- fried seaweed).

Scott has been enjoying the complimentary Spanish olives served with each beverage order.  We have been feasting on fresh seafood like the delicious puplo (grilled octopus).



Other favorites: langostines (prawns in cilantro oil), caracoles (snails), sardines, mushrooms & goat cheese, fresh fish in spicy tomato sauce (see below)

Looks like someone chugged most of her tasty Sangria before the food arrived


There are only a few aspects of Spanish culture that I don't truly love:

1.  Breakfast: piece of toasted white bread resembling a hamburger bun (zero nutritional value) with olive oil & tomato paste (However, the fresh OJ is spectacular)
2.  Dinner NEVER starts before 8 pm which is only an hour before my ideal bedtime.  Fortunately, when on vacation I stay up later so no problema!
3.  Service is slow and wi fi is even slower (uploading pics to this blog) so ADD must stay in check


I love Spain and can picture visiting here often in the future.  As we sat by the ocean at sunset in Cadiz, I admired this sweet vibrant couple and envisioned us 50 years from now
Scott sporting a similar denim tuxedo and I in a bold velour sweatsuit

To be continued...









1 comment:

  1. Why don't our bikers look like those two hotties...
    Looks like a blast Pearlman!!!

    ReplyDelete