Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Spring in Stuttgart (FINALLY!)

HOORAY the sun does shine in Stuttgart!  Halfway into April and it's actually warming up!  This is a critical time to document my strategies for enduring the last 4 months of freezing dismal weather so I can remember them next winter. 

In order to combat seasonal affective disorder (yes there is a diagnosis for those who suffer from depression due to lack of sunlight), I adopted the following rituals to remind me of sunshine and warmth:

1) Brew massive amounts of tea  
After pouring boiling water in mug, lean over the hot burner and soak up the warmth from the stove top (hair pulled back)


2) Purchase green plants to create a more tranquil environment and add energy to our home (since we don't have any real pets yet)


3) Cook flavorful & fiery (internal heat producing) meals utilizing spices and hot peppers 

4) Consume tropical treats & cocktails- ideally coconuts, avocados, pineapples, and mangoes


5) Blast reggae music and dance like I am back in Negril Spring Break 2005!


6) Smartwool attire (stock up when on sale!)


During the past couple weekends, we have been busy exploring our lovely city.  We discovered an authentic Portuguese restaurant called Beja where we met a few friends for dinner.
Damien, jovial Aussie on right, really happy to sit next to my husband

Erica to my left was not a  tapas fan and consumed mainly wine; she later barfed on the train ride home
This past weekend we took advantage of the 70 degree weather and went on a bike ride along the Neckar River.  We rode right by our local ZOO and saw camels, ostrich, buffalo, llamas, and baby kangaroos (next time I will bring my camera).  The following day, we went to a high ropes course in the Black Forest with Sera & Toby.
The holsters on our waist have the carabiners that promise to keep us alive 60 feet up



Monkey skills

Scoots on zipline

After the exhilarating ropes course, we walked to a local spot for lunch overlooking a pond. 


 It was the perfect place to eat and relax in the sunshine.



Good news:
1.  I passed the test to get an official German drivers license so now I can legally drive all over Europe (I realize some of my driving critics may not view this as "good news").  In Driver's ED class, the instructor emphasized the Autobahn's minimum speed limit is 60 KPH (36 MPH)!  I prefer to drive at lower speeds so expect to hear a few honks but at least I can help Scoots take a break on road trips. 
2.  Scott's German language skills are improving.  He learned the German word for plumber- GasWasserSheisa (translation not G rated).

Random observations:

Stuttgart's famous Spring Beer Fest known as Fruhlingsfest starts next week and the locals are excited!

Ad for the festival that's all over town
On another note, Germans don't smile often or at strangers (unless I am with Julia who has a cute kid or Mariel when she has her pups) so I have started a new game that I call "IFC" or "Insane Frau Challenge."

I once read that smiling is neurologically contagious like yawning.  However, I bet the German race could prove this theory wrong.  IFC is a game I can play anywhere in Germany.  For example, yesterday at the produce market, I made eye contact and smiled at a cute old hunchbacked lady with a cane.  She gave me an odd stare so I proceeded to grin even bigger with my eyes wide open.  I held this expression and eventually she smiled back!  Success!  I count this as 1 point for me even if it was just a pity smile.  

I play IFC during my daily walks with a variety of seemingly unfriendly Germans (However, I was warned to be cautious when playing IFC with Italians and Turks).








No comments:

Post a Comment