Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wolverines in Amsterdam!

Amsterdam just might be my favorite city in Europe (so far) because it has something for everyone! 

As Comedian Michael Ian Black says, "I went to Amsterdam on my honeymoon for the whores and the Anne Frank House." 

On the other hand, Scott and I went to Amsterdam to meet up with Dayna & Joe Moser, friends from the University of Michigan (I must take a moment to congratulate my Alma matter for an amazing NCAA performance- Go BLUE!)  

We stayed in their extravagant suite at Hotel Pulitzer in the Jordan District.  (I would highly recommend this place if you prefer luxury or have Starwood hotel points)

Sick view from hotel suite!

We arrived by plane and traversed the city by tram, foot, bike, taxi and even private boat tour.  

The Moser's friends Matt & Megan were also visiting from Chicago so we had a great crew!

Oh how I had missed my pal D ( sporting goofy sailor hat)
We brought refreshments and had a glorious boat picnic (assorted pastries, coffee, wine, cheese, anchovies, and olives) as we learned about the city's architecture and historical sites.





Dayna devouring croissants since alcohol is not recommended during pregnancy :) yay!
View from boat!


Megan, Megan, Dayna

Sorry for my fake smile- this photo shoot was endless
Later, Dayna made a reservation for our group (plus a nice couple from Holland) to meet for dinner at Bordewijk.




After dinner, we ventured to a few bars and local treasures.


Have you ever seen 2 grown men so excited to find a karaoke bar?
We joined the Dutch and sang our hearts out.  Unfortunately, their song list was weak and did not have any Lionel Ritchie or Phil Collins.  Luckily, we spotted a classic MJ song!

Scott and Megan belting out "Billie jean is not my luva.."
Scoots looking at the screen, shocked and bewildered by the lyrics: "who will dance on the floor in the round."
  What on earth is a round?


Notice passionate mouth-agape curly headed Belgian lady (far back right)  While she appears to be random, Beatrice was a new friend I specifically recruited from the previous bar to join our karaoke performance!

Amsterdam is beautiful day and night!
Romantically lit canal





On Sunday, our friends left early so Scott and I slept in and then feasted at the famous Pancake Bakery.





This place was packed and adorable, serving amazing savory and sweet pancakes.

Blueberry pancakes with lemon yogurt ice cream, whipped cream, and Belgium chocolate shavings!

After brunch, we decided to rent bikes so we could see more of the city.  The bike rental gal said it was a record coldest day ever for March (typical for my travels lately).  We bundled up and decided to be brave.  



Riding bikes in Amsterdam is amazing because it seems there are NO Rules.  The bikers choose to follow any signs they want (pedestrian, car..)  So basically we could ride on the street like a car but did not have to stop at lights - perfect!


 Iconic I amsterdam sign in front of the Rijksmuseum


The street art was comical



So excited to travel back to Amsterdam in a few weeks to see the tulips with the Shanks and Grandpa Dave!






3 comments:

  1. Those photos are gorgeous! I look forward to photo shoots with you in Prague next month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great times in Amsterdam! So nice to see you two! Nothing in your blog about our post-Karaoke journeys? Probably for the best... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have feasted at the famous Pancake Bakery. This was so much fun to read. Megan you are so funny. I miss you! And congrats Dayna!

    ReplyDelete